Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Me and my Big Mouth

Sometimes people say all kinds of crap without thinking about it too much.

This blog is a case in point.  I just speak my mind, when I should just sit quietly.

This morning around the water cooler I had a rather interesting conversation with a coworker Park.

It seems that a certain Kang has been the subject of a lot of talk at work.  He's been getting in trouble with various bosses, doesn't genuflect enough, refuses to accept responsibility for his mistakes.  Apparently he's also responsible for food and sundry small trinkets disappearing from all over the building.

I like the guy.  He's got a funny personality and is great to hang out with socially.  My only issue is that his work is spotty: it can be excellent, when he chooses to do it.

Park expressed great concern for Kang.  She worries about his future, and the effect he has on the group overall.  Then she leaned over and confided: you know, he lived abroad for such a long time, this must have affected him.

Wat?

It's hard to readjust she continued.  Living in America all those years put some unusual ideas in his head, and he probably had some strange experiences.

Now I actually know Kang fairly well.  One night when drunk he confided that he doesn't like living in Korea or Koreans that much.  When he was young he was beat repeatedly in school, most people on the street he talks to only spout out idiotic platitudes and propaganda, his sister was raped and the cops blamed her for it. . . that night he was full on rant mode.

I looked at Park: actually, I wonder too about Cho, Cha, Choi, Kim, and Lee.  They all lived abroad for years as well.  I think we should ignore the fact that they are model employees, since they have been tainted by their experiences abroad and it is only a matter of time before they completely snap and go postal on us.  Don't even get me started on that Koo guy.  He looks like a complete psychopath.  I heard he also likes to chat with men!

I'm glad you feel safe with me though.  I know I was born abroad, but since I've become sufficiently Koreanized most of those crazy ideas have been completely exorcised.  I understand the importance of following the traditions passed down through eternity from the heavenly Korean ancestors.  I'm even wearing hanbok!

Park smiled.  I smiled.  She walked away without another word.

Now, I do believe that stupidity is a universal constant, and I'm hoping she won't hold a grudge against me and that her panties aren't in a knot about it.  From experience, these types of conversation never end well.  You can't win and its best to just smile.  When will I ever learn?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but don't you love it when you're held culpable for what some random waeg does? Doesn't it make you feel like you can "Be the Golbal!" Didn't you love being held responsible for the asian financial crisis and the 2002 tank/ bridge layer incident? Like wow, I'm being situated as part of a world outside myself.....

Post a Comment