Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Monday, May 23, 2011

Smuggler!

From a newspaper article lamenting ubiquitous drug use by waegs
Looks like the presentation for the England trip has been put off for a week.  What with the COO's father dying and Mr. Baek just getting back from Singapore, folks need some more time to get things organized.

This will give me opportunity to work in jokes about Mr. Jeon's views on smuggling anything into Korea.  He expounded on these ideas at length the last couple days we were there.

At first I laughed along with him.  He was carrying a big bag and had been asked by a couple of people to carry stuff, mostly papers and what not.  I gave him a few small things.  He kept saying to me: "Hey waeg, don't bring any drugs haha." "No drugs in here, right? hahaha."

It stopped being funny after the 3rd go.  Given the frequency of his pontifications on the subject, it grew tiresome, then irritating.

Instead of making an issue about it, I reassured him several times that he needn't worry, I wasn't smuggling any drugs.  To his great relief, I took back the stuff I had asked him to carry and crammed them into my small carry on.  I noticed that all the bags and boxes had been opened and rummaged.

At customs, he was stopped and thoroughly searched.  I breezed through, no questions asked.  I have a few ideas what might have gone through his mind during that search.

I won't hold it against him.  I figure his imagination got his better when he thought of what I could be doing when I went walkabout without him.

Nothing too sordid, Mr. Jeon.  Just healthy adult fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment