Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Fishing!

At lunch we packed up our campsite and went to a small clear stream about 20 kms away.

Since they wanted to catch fish so badly, I bought the girls what amounts to a small version of a lave net. The small stream would be safer for them then the river we camped close to the night before.

They had a blast bringing in several dozen minnows.  Or at least that's what I think they are.  

I was reminded of a very important thing about camping this weekend: the type of time you have is heavily influenced by the type of neighbors.

Luckily I was able to mostly ignore them, or more to the point their kids.   Most of the kids were around 7-9.  It was difficult to consistently ignore them, as they kept traipsing through our campsite, hit my car twice with a ball when they decided to play baseball in an area where there were many tents and little kids wandering around, hit our table once with the same ball after I had asked them to go play in the nice open space less than 400 meters away, expressed surprise and astonishment when June spoke Korean to them, sang the ABC song twenty times. . . the list goes on.

After the ball hit the table, I expected some kid to come over and apologize.  They did not. 

What I really liked was how two of the moms ran around the entire camp site yelling out their kids' names.  They had no idea where they were and spent twenty minutes yelling for them.  This reminded me just how safe Korea is for kids, in that at least some parents don't feel they have to watch over their children so closely.

I generally avoid the heavy traffic full service camping areas.  Fewer people and more peace is worth the lack of some amenities.  I also don't like feeling as if I'm still in my apartment when camping, with 40 people living within 30 meters of me.

2 comments:

Jake @ expathell.com said...

At first I got all excited because I thought this post was entitled "Fisting!" but then I realized it was "Fishing!". Sometimes the eyes play tricks. Anyhow, I've found that OPC (Other People's Children) are pretty much the only things capable of ruining almost any type of outing (In Korea). People who simply let their noisy obnoxious children run wild; I'll never understand them.

One can only take comfort in the fact that when those bratty kids grow up, they'll punish their parents for their poor parenting skills by financially draining them, and then later upon retirement, kicking them out to the outskirts of the city to live out their final days in a corrugated tin shack while raising little brats of their own. Full circle.

F5Waeg said...

In my first few years I remember being appalled when I'd see kids running wild in restaurants and other public areas; the explanation would inevitably be:'well they're kids. They are only free now. Once they hit late elementary / middle school, their life becomes hell. Please understand.'

I refused to understand and still think it bad parenting.

If your kid is acting like a little shit, rein them in, teach them about boundaries and to be respectful, otherwise they only learn how to be shitheads and make you look like an irresponsible douche.

Luckily, I have met some kids who have been taught differently. When we were camping, there were a couple at the site to the left of us that understood boundaries; they didn't come over every six minutes asking rude questions, yelling 'cat!' 8 times at my face, pawing through our stuff, running through our site. Sadly, those kids always seem the minority.

Post a Comment