Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Cookie Cutter!

One of the women at work completely astonished me today by repeatedly stating how unattractive she is.

I think she's smoking hot.  She's bright, vivacious, fiercely intelligent, outspoken.  She isn't rail thin, has curves in all the right places, isn't pale as a ghost from excessive cosmetic use, taller than average, a wonderful smile.

Her main thing was how she could never be a Wonder Girl or Girl's Generation member since she doesn't have the right look, and how most guys are intimidated by her.  This is Korea; the need to be just like everybody else does slap you in the face every fifteen minutes or so.  She talked about how the guys she liked weren't into her, since she isn't quite thin or demure enough.

I had to intervene, seeing as she was having a bad day and could use some cheering up: if I wasn't married or 15 years your senior I'd totally be all over you.  I like quirky, confident women who can express themselves.  You shouldn't undervalue yourself seeing as you have a lot going for you; don't worry about not being a cookie cutter beauty, since that equals boring.

She didn't seem that convinced, which is too bad. 

I thought a bit more about what would make her and other Korean women think that way, and got depressed.  More so when I thought about my own girls, and some of the issues they are going to face growing up. So I stopped thinking about it.

Instead I thought about being 15 years younger.  That was far more entertaining.

Back to work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's okay to "cheer up" your coworkers, just don't get caught. :P

Post a Comment