Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Birthday Buddha!

Yesterday was Buddha's birthday.  The fam and I enjoyed a quiet day at home reading, hanging out, chatting.

I've always had an interest in Buddhism.

Recognizing how chasing desire can total mess up your shit seems good common sense to me.

Mind, the guy who espoused this as the basis for a life philosophy only got to that realization after he'd thoroughly indulged every whim, pleasure, and probably a fetish or three.

It's easy to turn your back on pleasure after you've eaten, drank, smoked, snorted and fucked to the point of utter desensitization.

Too much of anything makes you bored of it, and going to the other extreme and refusing to indulge yourself seems a logical conclusion.

When I first came to Korea and visited temples, I thought it odd that every gift shop sold bare bottomed baby Buddha figurines.  At the time I thought that would make a great ironic band name, but I got over it.

Apparently, the baby Buddha is supposed to in some respects embody the ideal of a return to innocence, where the monk has stripped away illusions and complications and once again become pure.

I've nowhere near lived the life of a prince or king who has been sheltered from suffering and whose every pleasure has been sated, so I think I'll enjoy my time in the muck a bit longer.

Interesting how that kind of idea seems present in North Korean ideology, in that Koreans are too pure and innocent to fully integrate into the big scary world that only aims to exploit and denigrate their essence.

Time for coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment