Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Friday, April 1, 2011

Traffic Signals!

One thing that constantly surprises me about driving in Wonju is how so few traffic signals are designed to ease the flow of traffic.

I just love getting through one light, then having to stop at another a block away, and I can see that the next one a block beyond is green but will of course be red by the time I get there.

One string of lights that I go through every morning actually lines up once every 11 days.

The rest of the time, nothing makes my morning so complete as being able to make it through two sets outta the 4 by blasting over some speed bumps and catching the yellow.

Woo!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I hate waiting for the lights to change. In Japan and US the lights change at a decent pace for both cars and pedestrians. I don't have a car so I'm more concerned about the pedestrian end.

It feels like I'm waiting for hours sometimes. I can't believe these Koreans will just wait for the little green man and not even cross when the road is clear.

So you're in Wonju? I'm actually living here as well. Totally hate it. This is the boonies and for a "developing city" it sure looks very run down.

F5Waeg said...

What area are you in? Some parts are pretty old and craptaculur

Anonymous said...

I live in a pretty "developed" area if you want to call it that. It's in the middle of the two other more "developed" areas. (Sorry if that's a little vague but I don't want to give out too much information.)

Still doesn't change the fact the place totally just seems run down. I think it's due to the fact you have all these tall apartments mixed with these worn down smaller buildings. I dunno. To me the city is painted in grays.

Post a Comment