Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Couple Fashion!

One thing that has been beaten to death in the waegosphere is the Korean fashion trend of couples wearing matching clothes.

From speaking with different people, the phenomenon is actually quite an old one, going back to the early 70s at least.  I remember one older couple that I used to teach back in the day.  They showed me their honeymoon pictures, in which they both wore matching pants and shirts.

I miss them sometimes, they were really nice.  But they've since immigrated to Texas.  But I digress.

When June and I were first married, she broached the subject once on whether or not we would wear matching clothes on our honeymoon.


I said sorry, but I found the whole thing kind of odd.

She actually seemed relieved, saying that she thought it weird too.

But the fashion persists even today, and is considered chic. 

Time for coffee.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My parents have been married for 48 years and sometimes they accidentally dress in matching clothes (for example, one day they met my sister and I for lunch and they were both wearing black pants and purple t-shirts). When we brought the fact to their attention they were both kind of shocked, and my mother was disgusted, to notice that they had indeed dressed themselves as if they were a pair of elderly twins. They're not Korean but they do have a bizarre tendency to unknowingly wear matching clothes.

Post a Comment