Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Bureaucracy!


One skill necessary for surviving any bureaucracy is recognizing the smell of unnecessary work.

For example, this morning I was asked to put together a 'short' 2-3 page report listing the types of vehicles that we could rent on our next business trip.  This way the powers that be could check it over, decide, and then pay for it from the expense account.

I ignored it. 

At lunch I was told to simply make the reservation and was given one of the company credit cards.

Hehehehe. . . room salons for everybody!

I jest!

Anyway, one secret is to just put off doing most stuff for at least a day or two, then waiting to see if anything changes.

Problem with that is you could suddenly find yourself inundated in a ridiculous amount of crap that needs to be shoveled in a very short space of time.  But the other option is to fill up your day with all kinds of little tasks that are then proven useless and irrelevant when the game plan changes.

I'd rather deal with the former and spend less time cursing out people due to dealing with the latter, which happens with some frequency.

My next post on Bureaucracy! will outline strategies to aid in responding civilly to people who have just told you that the 3 hours you spent creating some bullshit document would have been better spent playing solitaire or shopping on GMarket.

1 comment:

Spike said...

Long before the Internet,I used to work for a huge corporation. On my desk, I had an INBOX, an OUTBOX and a TOO HARD TO DO BOX. Rarely did I have to dig crap out of the TOO HARD box to work on...lol

Post a Comment