Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Blood Donation!

Today I received a text reminding me that I could go to the hospital and donate blood. I get one every six months.

Things have changed in the ROK.

Back home, I used to donate pretty regularly.  There was a group of us that would go together and have a race to see who could fill the bag first.  I often came in first.

When I first came to Korea, I tried to donate a couple of times.

I was flat out refused.  They said they didn't take blood from waegs.

I remember at the time it really pissed me off.  What did me being a waeg have to do with the quality of my blood?

Finally in about 2006-7 things began to change.  The Red Cross in Korea started accepting blood donations from waegs.

I have been refused one time since then, after I had been camping up in north Gangwon province.  Apparently you can contract malaria in the areas closer to the DMZ, so if you've been up in that area in the last year they won't accept your blood.

But now I'm good.  So I'm off to the hospital tonight to make my donation.

I hope the nurse is cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment