Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Out of the Maze

It took me a while to get my bearings: it was pretty late, I'd just walked through 3 and half miles of pitch black, roads seemed to go off in ever widening circles with no rhyme or reason.

I passed by trailors of all shapes and sizes; at first I couldn't decide whether it was an all season kinda place.  Miniature windmills, wells with little johnny fisherman, massive stone frogs, pink flamingoes, wind chimes. . . a bewildering cornucopia of lawn ornament kitch suggested permanence.  Every trailor seemed to have at least 2 or 3 pieces of lawn decoration.

One garden gnome sitting on top of a huge psychedelic mushroom made me laugh out loud.  I stopped when I realized that inside the screened porch an old couple were sitting enjoying the evening.

I realized I had no idea where I was going when after walking for 20 minutes I passed the same tripped out gnome.  The old couple in the porch were the only people I had seen out and about, so I went up and asked: excuse me, could you tell me how to get to highway ABC?

The old man laughed.  Well, you're quite a ways from there.  How'd you end up in this neck of the woods?  I explained how I'd climbed up onto the overpass and walked in, as that was the one on my map.

You walked all that in the dark?  Well, that overpass isn't on your map seeing as this is a small side road. You know what time it is?  Where you headed anyway?

East.  Something's telling me to go east, and I hope to meet some friends there.

Where you sleeping tonight? 

Usually I just crawl up someplace quiet, unfold this foam and crawl into my sleeping bag.  Yesterday morning I was woken by a couple of deer.

He laughed.  Well that is something.  Look its kind of late now, why not sleep on the futon out here in the porch, its a nice night, and tomorrow I'll take you where you need to be.

That's mighty nice of you.  I think I will, thanks.

We talked for an hour or more about this that and whatever.  It was easy, friendly and relaxing.  We turned in.

Next morning I woke when I heard noise inside the trailor.  The sun had just cracked the sky.  The old woman came out with some bread, jam and coffee.  She also handed me a small bag.  Take this dear, it wouldn't do for you to be hungry on the road she said.


He helped load my pack into his truck. I was a good fifteen miles from the road I wanted, and he dropped me off at the crossroads.  Well this is where you need to be.  Good luck.

Hey many thanks.  That was mighty right of you to be nice to a stranger like that.

Think nothing of it, you look like a decent fella.  Just remember it and pay it forward when you find the roles reversed.  I will, and goodbye.

I grabbed my pack.  He honked and waved as he drove away.

No comments:

Post a Comment