Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Me and my Big Mouth

Sometimes people say all kinds of crap without thinking about it too much.

This blog is a case in point.  I just speak my mind, when I should just sit quietly.

This morning around the water cooler was get your hate on day.   I felt this morning that I shouldn't go in, but I still have way too much work to catch up on. 

Mr. Kim went on about a waeg who lives in his building who never speaks Korean.  He ranted about how waegs never respect Korean culture or try to learn about traditions.

I felt bad since my Korean isn't near native fluency, despite my ten years in.

Then Mr. Shin added with anecdotes of his time in America.  His take was that Americans are racist idiots.

Yeah, I piped in, that's the sad thing about the human condition: stupidity is an overwhelming  constant.  You find it everywhere.  I've been physically assaulted three times in my ten years here.  I've had run ins with the police four other times when drunk idiots tried to make something of a non-issue.  Of those seven times, only once was I vindicated.  I guess I should feel lucky.

Common wisdom amongst waegs is that if you have some type of altercation with a Korean, run before the cops come.  You simply won't win.

Common wisdom also has it that when Koreans go abroad for travel, work or study, they do little to acclimatize or learn about the local culture.  They generally hang out only with each other.  They'd rather go to a Korean restaurant in New York and drink soju than experience any of the huge variety that surrounds them.

Some of them looked at me disbelievingly, angrily or were indifferent.  A few others knew what I was talking about.  It was about a 50/50 split.

But now I'm sure Mr. Kim is mad at me.  He wouldn't look at me and was obviously stewing.

Now, I do believe that stupidity is a universal constant, and I'm hoping he won't hold a grudge against me and that his panties aren't in a knot about it.  From experience, these types of conversation never end well.  You can't win and its best to just smile.  When will I ever learn?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haters gonna hate dude just let it slide

Josh said...

good old woorijib on 32nd ave; way overpriced but hey that's NYC

Post a Comment