Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Monday, March 7, 2011

The Grass is Always Greener!

Yeah you're right, the grass is greener over there
Today was a highly productive day.  Too bad a pile of other stuff got dumped on me in the mid afternoon.

I dig the fact that I'm head of the department.  When people ask me what I do and I mention this, the reaction is far more positive than when I used to say English teacher. 

Most of the waegs I work with will pretty much say the same thing.  Every single one of them did the ESL circuit back in the day.  When you say you're an English teacher, people make a bunch of assumptions about you that are of course wide of the mark.  They look at you much differently than if you say yes I'm in conceptual design.  They'll speak to you in a way that can be 'friendlier', but which can also mean 'I don't need to make such an effort to show respect to you because you are Johnny / Jane Fun Time'.

But going back to an ESL gig seems very attractive at times.  A much lighter workload, far less stress, more free time to do what you want.  It is very attractive, and if you play it right it can be lucrative.  Sometimes I miss it since it can also be a lot of fun.

But I know I'd miss the work I'm doing now.  I'd probably think once or twice a week for the first few months that I was an idiot to leave my current job.  It would be most poignant whenever I said that I teach English and got the look.

You. Yes you.  English teacher who has been here for more than a year: you know what I'm talking about.  You know the look.  Don't say you don't.  That's why you drink so much and sometimes get depressed for no reason.

So right now I'm not going to think about it too much.  I'm going to make a fresh coffee and hunker in.  I figure I'll work it until about eight than call it a day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do mean the look of envy when they find out I'm teaching at a well known university?

That my contract is 12 hours a week and includes 5 months of paid vacation?

Yea, I know that look...

F5Waeg said...

Yeah those gigs are sweet. I had a really sweet one for a couple of years, although it wasn't a well known university.

Are you teaching English? If you can get one of those gigs teaching a subject other than language, that's a ticket to ride.

Anonymous said...

Ever think maybe "the look" is your own insecurity? Get over yourself.

F5Waeg said...

I have, and nope it's not. I got over myself years ago while working at Kim's English Emporium.

But I can understand why many might have a reaction similar to yours. Same thing if you're working at Walmart back home, or a call center, or some other like job: people are going to speak differently to you than if you say you work as an engineer for Volvo.

Don't worry, one day I just may end up back as an English teacher, and you can enjoy laughing at me then.

Post a Comment