Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Cargo from the Other Side!

I need me one of these
Tonight I got home a little after seven.  I had to go pick up the youngest at her kindergarten.

The girls and I hung out and played with some bracelet and necklace making stuff.  Their nanny sent it from across the pond.  We added the new stuff to the batch I bought last time I went home.  That was almost two years ago now.

I was really hoping to get back this summer, but seeing how money is right now, even Christmas might be asking too much.

When people ask why I stay in Korea with my girls, I tell them the truth: I want them to know everything that they are, and learning their mother tongue is important.  Once we move back, the chances for practicing it will diminish greatly, so hopefully they'll be able to hold on to it if we lay a solid foundation.

I like to read a lot of websites where 'half Koreans', 'half Japanese' etc like to hang out, even though I hate that monikor.  You aren't half anything, you're double the fun!

But what I read there is almost always: I've forgotten most of my Korean whatever.  That must suck.

So we stay.  For now.  But the fact that they haven't seen my family in near two years is also an issue.  It gets expensive going back and forth, although they did stay there last go for a good five months at a fraction of what it would have cost for a non-resident.

Those were lonely dark months, stories of which I'll share sometime.

These thoughts all went through my head as I made a super necklace.  It's pretty rad.  I gave it to June who looked bemused yet secretly pleased.

Time for some Max.

No comments:

Post a Comment