Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Business Dinner!

Tonight I went out and had dinner with two of my five bosses.

I ended up drinking more than I had planned but less than I expected.

We went to some little bar that was chock full of adjosshis.

The secret to surviving such an encounter is to know the rules:


  • Always hold your glass slightly lower when clinking glasses with someone higher up the totem pole.
  • Never drink first, and drink shortly after they do.
  • Never finish a drink until they do or you are prompted. 
  • Listen carefully, distract when things get morose, shut up when they want to reminisce.
  • If they go fishing for shit on people, remain neutral, and never share personal shit about the person being fished if you know THEY know already.  They'll say they heard it from you.  Big Mess.
  • Be vacant, but when called upon shine sufficiently.
  • Smile

One of my bosses has a pile of personal shit going on right now that would be hard for any person to work through.  He's a tough old bastard that will make it through, but damn it is a tall order.  I ended up picking up some more stuff that will help him out in the short term.

Some people may bemoan being in such a situation, but I learned a lot from the whole encounter: the inner sanctum has drawn round the wagons with an unusual exception, they know more about that guy in advertising than I would have expected, as well as that other guy in PR.  No idea what that all means now, but I did get to eat some tofu kimchi and tell the story about my dad teaching me the value of work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The 'confidentiality' and deference you describe is pretty good advice

Post a Comment