Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Angry Mother-in-Law!

Well, not really.

But she did lightly chastise me when I didn't come home for dinner tonight.

She had heard of my rumblings against the soy bean paste soup, rice and kimchi.  I do like the soy bean paste soup, rice and kimchi.  Unfortunately, I'm a product of my environment: eating a variety of different foods from X, Y, Z countries is a cheap, healthy way to spice up a weekly menu. Eating the same thing day in day out for weeks is a terrible way to go through life.

This isn't so easy or cheap to pull off in Korea.  In fact, food prices are pretty high here, even for local stuff.  So a lot of people end up eating the same kinds of things all the time.  How boring is that?

So she had slaved all day to make my favorite, pork spine soup.

I love pork spine soup. I could eat that for a few days in a row and be one happy camper.

But I was a no show.  I had to have a quick dinner with the head honcho to briefly lay out a strategy for the business trip in May.  It seemed to meet with approval, although we'll see how it settles.

I assured her I would have a nice heaping bowl of pork spine soup for breakfast.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kamja Tang and Dok Dori Tang are amongst my favourites (I'd include Kalbi Tang but it's often just watery). Dunno if I'd call either of them good value for money though. Fairly basic, cheap ingredients with a lot of boiling time.
Apart from the lack of variety, I find Korean food to be getting sweeter which really dulls my appetite.

Post a Comment