Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Pancakes and Princesses!

Despite not having to go to work this morning, I was in bed by 10:30 and up by 5.

I had a nice slow morning so it's alright.  I read a few blogs I hadn't in some time, took a nice hot bath, and made blueberry pancakes for the fam.

They woke up to the smell of freshly ground drip coffee and blueberry wholesomeness.

I added some wheat germ.  My mom sent some in her Christmas package that we got yesterday.  Also inside were four princess dresses.  The girls are ecstatic about those. 

I'm ambivalent.  I'd rather they not emulate some princess who needs to have their prince charming come along and save them, or puts up with all the shit evil stepsisters throw at em.

I try to balance out all the Disney stuff by telling them about the Greek Goddesses.

I'm not too worried, knowing their personalities. 

Time for coffee, then off to the inlaws.

2 comments:

Lesser Klaus said...

I feel you. I suddenly noticed how almost every book and movie has a male lead once I had a daughter. It is irritating.

On the other hand I now know that nature has a hand in sex roles. My daughter loved sparkly things and dolls from as soon as she was able to express a preference, and without any encouragement from us. My son was fascinated when he first saw me use a screwdriver, again before he was old enough to do much of anything.

I took exactly one psychology class in college back in the 80's. There was some woman popular at the time--don't recall the name--who believed that sex roles were purely environmental. She put barrettes on her son and did similarly atypical things with her daughter. Smart money says her grown children hate her now. I'm guessing this belief of hers stemmed from guilt over not being around much to raise her children. Am I an a-hole or what??

Lesser Klaus said...

Since you mention the Greek gods: another book I read in college impressed me by pointing out that the ancient Greek goddesses were all shamefully typical and one-dimensional women. I thought that was really insightful at the time. Afterwards however I realized first, Athena is uncommonly well-rounded, and second, look at the male gods! They're just as typical. Look at Ares or Hephaestos for instance.

Post a Comment