Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Mugwort!

Every spring the fam and I go out and picks bags of mugwort.

We use it in soups, stuff some in small cotton pillowcases, and give some to friends.

Why bother when it's so cheap?  It's a good excuse to get out of the house and walk around in big open fields.  It's a nice afternoon activity.

The interesting thing about mugwort is that when burned it smells oddly like ganja.

One of my waeg coworkers came excitedly into my office late this afternoon.  Dude, someone has been smoking pot around the smoking corner out back.  I've been smelling it all day.

Now I do know that there are some Koreans who smoke the stuff despite the insane penalties if you get caught; but I seriously doubt anyone would be smoking it near the office.

Naw dude, it can't be.  I bet its mugwort.  You can buy the cigarettes in pharmacies as a smoking cessation aid.  It doesn't really work worth shit on the actual nicotine withdrawal, but if you just like the act of smoking without getting any nicotine it's supposed to help that way.

Sure enough shortly after I went out and found Mr. Na puffing away on a mugwort cigarette.  He's three days into quitting and word around the office is that he's doing well.

It's still a bit too early to go out and pick mugwort yet, but soon.  Maybe at that time I'll actually follow through on my New Year's resolution to quit tobacco.

1 comment:

Conor Burns said...

Hi,

Interesting article. Do you know of any place where I can buy Mugwort cigarettes online?

Regards,

Conor

Post a Comment