Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Monday, February 28, 2011

March 1st!

Seeing as tomorrow is a holiday, I figured I'd surf around a bit on the net.  I've been pretty busy these days and haven't had a lot of time to poke around in what's going on over yonder.

While checking out the links on my blog roll, I came across this little gem.

The irony seemed palpable.  When I get maudelin, one of the big things I worry about is just what kind of future this country will allow me to forge for me and mine, and just how much impact I can have on that process.

I wonder just what take of 'Manse!' will end up winning out.  Will it be one that forgets what caused the ancestors to rise up and risk death in the first place?

I'm not against the promotion of Korean culture and traditions.  In the global world, offering up a unique contribution is much better than simply becoming borg.

That said, I do have an issue when things start getting too 'ethnicky'.  That means that even if I were to give up my citizenship and assimilate 1000%, I'd always be missing that special ingredient: blood.  And my girls would only ever be twigi.


Still, the battle needs to be fought that I not allow myself to be too blinded by the morons I meet on the street and what I can only read in the papers.  A lot of that shite certainly does make your average waeg angry.  But then I think of the many cool people I've met over the years, and how much I wish they'd get more involved in change.

But that is a tall order to fill.

What's worse are some of the Koreans I've met who have lived overseas, and get all up on themselves in this way: but waeg, Korea is a great place for foreigners and their children.  When I lived in XYZ, I experienced real racism, something YOU could never understand.

uh huh.

In some ways, that may be true.

But try it out from my end for awhile, and get back to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment