Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Magpie!

I was hiding out back having a cigarette when a magpie startled me.  It chattered away at me and seemed generally unperturbed at my presence.

Practitioners of Korean folk religion see magpies as bearers of good news or good luck.  I'm down with that.

Of course farmers hate them as they will clear out a field of freshly planted seeds fairly quickly.

Interesting that back home they are considered evil, similar to a crow.

Reminds me of a story an old woman once told me: In Wonju, there is a bridge that is famous as a place for white herons to hang out.

In years past, many people who were studying for the civil service exam would sometimes travel down from Seoul just to see these herons, since it was considered good luck for passing the test.

Not too many people do that anymore.  The rebuilt bridge has a stone heron on each corner and a huge one that can be seen for quite some distance in the middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment