Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Monday, February 14, 2011

Hayseeds!

A bunch of new interns just started.  As evident in many elementary and middle school students as I walk down the street in any semi populated area in Korea, a couple of these new interns haven't learned not to say "Hi!" and giggle when they see a waeg.

Most of my coworkers are pretty cool, but every now and then we get an intern or two that acts like they just came out of the most isolated gangwon valley that just recently got electricity.

Late this afternoon I was the recipient of the 'hi chorus' from a couple of them.  I was tired and cooked and instead of simply ignoring them I said: speaking to a stranger in that way is at best odd and at worst rude.

They looked at me like I had just grown wings.

I blame Mr. Go-Lucky-sing-along-bingo teacher and programs like English Cafe.

As they walked down the hall I heard the main culprit go on about how weird I am. Ah to be young and foolish again.  Then again, I myself can be a bit of a hayseed from time to time.

Still, I think I know who to volunteer for research, office cleaning, photocopying, and whatever other unpleasant job comes along in the next while.

No comments:

Post a Comment