Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Tempest in a Teacup!

Seems I've got some people worked up with one of my posts.

I received the following email:

"You are just another one of those F-visa assholes who thinks they are so much better than anyone else.  So fucking what if you've been here ten years?  You edited in a Korean [woman] and you think that makes you so goddam special.  You should just fuck yourself and die"

Sounds angry.

For the record, my post came after a couple of bottles of rice wine.  I always get maudelin and melancholy when I drink rice wine.

One of the problems with reading the newspapers is most of the stuff I see dealing with waegs are either fluff pieces about how much we love Korean food, or talking about how nasty and corrupt we are.

The latter are far more prevalent.

I try to think what it would have been like for a first generation Korean moving to my country.  I've known many immigrant families back home, so I do have some basis for reflection.

The kids that I was friends with were basically locals, albeit with small differences.  One Indian guy I knew was a practicing Hindu.  Most of the Chinese I knew ate with chopsticks.  That kind of thing.

One interesting thing was how in most cases, the parents (if they were first generation) couldn't speak English well or at all.  There were a few exceptions, but that's what they were: exceptions.

Another interesting thing is how most of those kids succeeded.  Their parents worked their asses off to give them the opportunities, and many of them did exceedingly well.

Yeah I know some of you will say that's not true, I know tons of immigrants' kids who are complete fuckups.

Whatever.  Those kids are the minority.

So now the shoe is on the other foot.  I'm living in a country far from my native land, with passable proficiency in the language but I know I still make tons of mistakes.  I'm working against misconceptions as to my character based on the color of my skin and country of origin.  I have to deal with laws and a system that works against me.

I'm not going to make it any easier for people like those at Anti English Sputum to pigeon hole me or mine.

2 comments:

jakeinkorea said...

I have to say, I've met some F-Visa dipshits in my time. In fact, it's been about 60% dipshits and 40% normal guys up until this point. Some of the waygooks that Korean women drag home to marry are absolutely atrocious.

The society for non-dipshit F-Visa holders is now taking applications.

F5Waeg said...

I'd say 70% normal myself. Maybe I'm lucky but most of the ones I've met are fairly decent.

Post a Comment