Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sunday Drive!

We left the house with the best intentions: we were going to Seoul to see some art.

On the expressway, the Sunday rush back to the big smoke had already backed it up to the last Wonju toll gate.

One of the things I hate the most is paying to get stuck in traffic.

Making a command decision, I headed east instead.

We were going to Anheung to get some red bean dumpling cakes!

We made a big mistake by not going to our regular shop.  The red bean inside was too moist at the one we went to.  Lesson learned.


We drove around and saw one of the many western style suburbs that dot the Korean countryside.

This one was pretty nice.  All the houses looked big and expensive.

We ooed and ahed at the mountains.  We talked of disease and needing to have our car sprayed 6 different times due to foot and mouth disease.

We had our trip cut short when the tunnel at the top of highway 411 was shut to traffic to stem the spread of said foot and mouth disease.

That sucked, since to get to Sillim would require a more than 2 hour detour.

We went back to the Wonj and had rice and herb stuffed chicken for lunch.  It was delicious.

During lunch June and I talked about Korean movies.  I had recently seen The Chaser and was thoroughly freaked out by it.  When I mentioned it was about a serial killer, the youngest asked:

Daddy, is a cereal killer someone who dies from eating too much cerearl?

There was a good round of hooting.

June made some comment about how the only Korean movies waegs seem to like are the really violent ones.  I asked her if Mother was violent, or Oasis, or My Sassy Girl.

After lunch we went and bought a new toaster oven.  I'm now going to have some coffee and rearrange the kitchen to make room for it.

June's a bit sore we didn't go to Seoul.  She got herself all dolled up and was looking pretty fine.  I insisted we go look at art next week.  I have 10 working days off, awesome!

2 comments:

jakeinkorea said...

I've been trying to talk my wife into moving out into one of those western style suburbs. Mostly because I want a big western style garage for my projects and toys.

My wife balked at the idea, saying that "The countryside is more expensive than Seoul" I think she's lying because she doesn't want to live in the "countryside". It certainly doesn't seem like living in a suburb could be that much more expensive than living in Seoul.

F5Waeg said...

A nice 2 story house will cost you less than an apartment in Gangnam . . . I've seen top end prices around 20000-25000 manners . . . you just gotta be ok with living in the boonies. It does get pretty dark at night.

The ones you see here are pretty deep country. Nice places though.

Post a Comment