Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Friday, January 7, 2011

Shoe Shine!

This afternoon I was a busy little bee.

I got a haircut, hit the grocery store, picked up some printing, hit the bank and had delicious goat stew.

I also got a couple of pairs of shoes shined and resoled.  There's an old guy with his own shack towards the downtown.  He's been there for as long as I've been in Wonju.

There used to be more of them around, but as areas are getting developed these guys are disappearing.

Here's a video of the guy shining up a pair of my loafers.  I made the mistake of not shooting it in landscape view.  Lesson learned.

Two pair of shoes, nicely buffed and resoled: 3.6 manners.  I thought it wasn't bad at all.

Better than the first time I went to Vietnam, and on my first day I got snookered into paying about 10 bux for a shoe shine when it should have cost about 10 cents.

Not going out tonight.  Haven't been out all week.  Still trying to best this cough and cold.

Update: I brought five more pairs, two more of mine and 3 of June's.  Some of my favorite pairs of shoes have been rescued from the trash, all for the cost of an average pair!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

manners or chunners???? 36 bucks for two pairs of shoes to be shined seems steep. 45 manners for a sweater equals 450,000????

F5Waeg said...

He resoled the shoes as well...ground them down and put whole new soles on them. For that I thought the price was reasonable seeing as I just got two pairs of shoes back that I may have otherwise tossed.

And yes 450000. .. Which is why I totally didn't buy it. Maybe I'm déclassé but as soon as I saw the price I merely scoffed and walked out of the store.

Post a Comment