Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Saemaeul!

Today is going to be a hell day.  I've got a ton of shit to finish while also sitting through a couple of meetings.

But I will persevere!  My awesomeness cannot help but abide.  And I got to work an hour earlier than usual.

As I was driving, I was reminded of some stuff I had read on the New Community Movement

Driving around the countryside you see how things change.  Most houses these days are of the European / American style.  Younger folks make their bundle in whatever city then instead of opting for the highrise apartment, they build themselves a small but nice house in the countryside.  Some may keep it as a country home, but some move out permanently.  My kids' kindergarten consists mostly of people who think that living in the city is a ticket to hell, especially for children and the insane academy schedule so many are forced into.

But around the countryside you still see quite a few of these:


Especially the second one from the left; you see houses that look just like that dotting the countryside in Gangwon province.  At the time these were built, all most people wanted was to move into a high rise apartment and experience the hell that city life necessarily consists of.  They worked their nice clean office jobs, which consisted of rarely seeing your family and dying early from alcohol and cigarette abuse.

So their children watched and learned.  Now more and more are moving back to the country, although it still is a trickle compared to those who still seek the type of success that working for a chaebol can bring.  But if the number of new houses I've seen built around the countryside in the last few years is any indication, it is a movement gaining in momentum.

Remind me to post a picture of the mini suburb gated communities that are springing up all over.  I know of five within 20 kms of my house, and all the houses are these huge American style 2 story things on top of each other.  They call them UN villages, UN towns or something similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment