Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Friday, December 3, 2010

Fight!

June and I have been increasingly hostile.

She's been dealing with a lot of stress trying to start up her new business.  So far it has not taken off.

We've invested 1500 manners into it so far.

I can understand her anxiety.  I've been trying to be super cool about it to help her out, but she's been really pissing me off with her rudeness to everyone.  Especially her mother.  Your kids will copy how you treat your mom I tell her.  It hasn't changed anything.

And I am a bit worried as well.  1500 manners ain't chicken feed.

This morning it went full on.

I got pissed when I found out that June has exempted the eldest from the English classes at the country school she goes to.  During that time, the eldest usually hangs out in the library and reads Korean books.  She reads Korean at an advanced level, but can't read nearly as well in English.  June has said she'll take care of it.

I'm at work all day until 7 or 9 every night and can only pick up so much slack.  I try to spend as much time as I can with my girls, since being there and involved is the most important thing a parent can do, but she does have way more free time than I do.  I usually only end up spending about 1-3 nights during the week of quality time with them. 

While she does do a lot, she also complains a lot about how hard her life is.

I just tell her she should have married a rich guy if she wanted to be pampered.

She works 3-5 hours a day and her mom helps out a lot with the housework.  So when I come home after working 12-14 hours to find no food, kids watching TV, or June asleep or tooling around on Gmarket, I get a little pissed.

Wtf do you do with your day?

I called her selfish this morning.  I told her to buck up.  I told her to never make unilateral decisions about the girls' education without talking about it with me first.  I don't care if the waeg at her school is considered a shitty teacher by the moms, stick her in that damn class.

Her favorite argument is that the kids don't want to do it.  I've learned that this often translates into her discouraging them from doing it.  Besides, if they don't want to bathe, or study, or want to get 10 facial tattoos or run off and join the circus, are you simply going to acquiesce?

Anyway it was ugly.

She's going to Seoul for a seminar this afternoon then meeting up with some friends tonight.  She'll be back tomorrow.   Hopefully that'll help.

4 comments:

Spike said...

Does 150 manners = 15 million won?

F5Waeg said...

yup

Anonymous said...

No, doesn't it mean 1.5 million won?

Manner = 10,000 (만원)

15 million would be 150 begmans (백만원)

F5Waeg said...

damn you're right. Asleep at the wheel on that one. 1500 manners.

Post a Comment