Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Dionysian Revelries!

Tonight is shaping out to be full on.

The Christmas shindings usually are.

But coupled with this news is that one of the interns got offered a sweet position with a major corporation.

Looks like our department will be giving a little extra out.

The drunkest I've ever been in my life was at a work related dinner.  Back in the day I worked for a college that had an adjunct campus set up as part of a training center with one of the big chaebols.  Most of my students were assembly line workers, learning English to hopefully get themselves off the production floor. Most of them had no university degree and were in their mid to late 20s or early 30s.

I was repeatedly asked if I could drink well.  Not to brag excessively, but yeah I can put the sauce away.  During the membership training, I was called out by one of the guys who was renowned as the strongest drinker.

I had had about 4 bottles of beer and was feeling pretty good.  We sat down across from one another with only a paper shot glass and several bottles of soju.  What followed should have killed us both: we proceeded to do shot for shot, one after another, and in the space of about 45 minutes we had drunk nearly 6 bottles of soju EACH.

I kid you not.

The contest came to an end when all of a sudden dude in front of me just keeled over.  Literally.  One second he was up and trying to stare me down, then flop! over he went.

I remember everyone in the room having very frightened looks, but the rest of the night is very hazy.  Apparently, I went from room to room talking up a storm, being very animated, hitting on all the cute women, caging beer from anyone who had some.  I supposedly began stumbling more and more as time passed.  I'm not sure how long this went on.  I woke up halfway up the mountain behind the resort covered in leaves.  At least I had sense enough to make a blanket.

Oddly, I wasn't that hungover.

Guy was ok, although his pride took a serious blow.  Things between me and the rest of the students felt very odd after that.  There still seemed to be a hint of fear and apprehension in their eyes whenever I met them.

I guess many people had tried to take this guy down over the years, but I was the first to succeed.  My victory seemed somewhat hollow, seeing as everyone now thought I was some type of mythical liquor beast, or alcoholic.

No comments:

Post a Comment