Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Captain Obvious @ Frame Switch!

I randomly came across a paper on the subject of frame switch.

At first I thought, yes that's so true!  I've noticed time and again over the years how when Koreans speak English, they seem to become a different person.

As I've become more fluent in Korean, I've noticed similar changes in my behavior when I speak it as well!

OMG!

Also, the shift definitely becomes more apparent in women when they speak English.

What does it mean?!?

Of course, this paper could be a pile of shit.

I definitely won't speak the same way to a cop that I would a friend.

When you see college students talking to waeg professors -vs- Korean profs it seems to hold water.  The idea is that waeg professor is cooler, more free and they can be more relaxed.  Korean prof gets genuflection until the cows come home and downward averted eyes.

but, er, yeah.  Culture blah blah hello captain obvious!

Still, I should apply the same idea to Korea, write a paper and publish it in some academic journal.  Might be a nice way to pass the time.

I'll title it something along the lines of "Insight into the Perception of the Other: How Bicultural Shifts in Second Language Usage Demonstrate Common Views of Minorities by Korean Society"

Next would be "How Bicultural Shifts in Second Language Use give Insight into Societal Perceptions of the Other", with the Korean example as one case study.  I've got a lifetime's work there!

Or I could write a polemic against learning a second language, since it causes confusion in an individual, and corrupts them from responding in the pure authentic Korean way.  Ooooo!  Now that could be a great paper!

Just kidding.

Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment