Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Aegyo!

One of my coworkers is the queen of aegyo.

She knows not to use it on me, since it will generally garner the opposite reaction sought.

It really irks me to hear her use it, although I know it is one of the more formidable weapons a young Korean woman can use to disarm an older ajosshi.

To me, its like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Why does she do that to herself?  Like I said, I know it is a formidable weapon.

I've seen hardened ROK marines, former Navy corvette commanders, and the most wizened rice farmer completely turn to putty and do whatever she wants when she turns it on, she's that good.

To each their own I suppose.  But I am glad she knows to spare me.  In fact, listening to her speak English to the waegs and Korean to Koreans is indeed like speaking to two different people. . .

Update: Friday night we talked about aegyo for a while.  This was ironic since one of the three Jungs had to talk to her mother in law.  Apparently, the next day was the MIL's birthday and she was upset that Jung wasn't coming over.  Thanks to her own aegyo power, she was able to soothe the MIL in short order.  Thus the power of the aegyo is demonstrated in a different context.

No comments:

Post a Comment