Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Academy!

One of my waeg buddies runs his own English Academy.

He was telling me that things aren't going too well in the academy world these days.  More and more parents are cutting back on the number they send their kids to and are preferring academies that offer one stop shopping: math, art, Korean, English, etc. all in one spot.

He says many owners are worried.  Everyone is feeling the pinch.

But then I suppose it doesn't really help that there are so many academies around.  The industry has always been volatile and difficult to predict.  There are 6 English academies within 300 meters of his.  And that isn't even a high ratio.

I worked the academy circuit my first year in Korea.

The job was really boring, but at least my boss was nice.  To me.  He wasn't so nice to some of his other teachers, but in fairness they were fuck ups who didn't work and caused trouble in town.

He didn't pay my pension, but he did take us out to dinner a lot and he did go out of his way to make sure his good teachers were looked after.

I made some great friends that first year, many of whom I'm still friends with today.

Unfortunately,  there are too many bosses out there like this:



Luckily my buddy isn't like that.

1 comment:

jakeinkorea said...

A couple of really big brand-name academy chains in my neighborhood recently went completely bankrupt. One of them even had protesting parents outside trying to get their money back. Wonder what happened to the teachers...

These days, the government is clamping down on private education with all sorts of new regulations. Government subsidized after-school programs are starting to pick up more steam.

Post a Comment