Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Whining Waegs!

Yesterday I went over to Dave's ESL Cafe to drum up some hits.

What can I say?  I'm a complete attention whore.

What struck me was a couple of posts by someone calling himself eamo.

He claims my blog is uninformative and banal.  Yet he offers nothing constructive or entertaining as a counterpoint.  He's been on Dave's since 2003, makes a ton of posts, yet a lot of what he does is complain about this that or the other thing.

He's reminded me of something I sometimes forget:

Often in Korea, a waeg's worst enemy is. . . another waeg.

I wonder sometimes what it is with these types of guys.

If they see another waeg trying to do something constructive or creative, they go out of their way to speak ill and mess with them.

If everything is such shite, why not get out there and do something yourself? 

Must be ressentiment. Or something.  It's like mocking the smart kid in class because deep down you know that you suck and will never be as good. 

This is why I like reading stuff off my blog roll.  The Prestige, Mr. Wonderful, Dokdoisseur. . . while not often the most positive role models, at least they do more with their life than play video games, post on message boards how everything everyone else does is shitty, or worse threaten them with harm to their livelihoods or family.  Well, Mr. Wonderful used to mock other bloggers, ok, um, nevermind.  At least it was entertaining!

Reminds me of a guy I knew named Chris.  This guy was the biggest mooch in all eight provinces.  He'd suck the marrow out of your bones, was a lazy ass teacher, and a general ne'er do well.

He ended up getting into some trouble with immigration.  A good waeg buddy of mine and his wife helped him sort it all out.  Then Chris was stoopid enough to get caught trying to mail himself some grass.  He was asked for names during the interrogation, and guess who he named?  That's right, Married Dude.  Chris had been hot after Married Dude's wife and had taken a run at her.  This saint of a woman told Chris in no uncertain terms where to go.  Chris decided that if he couldn't be happy nobody would.

Luckily Married Dude's test results were all negative.  Now he's not so willing to help out newbies fresh off the boat.  Can't say I blame him.  I've had similar experiences of getting screwed.

Now I'm not saying waegs should all band together and be like one happy family.  Fuck that.  Nor am I sayin that they are all like Chris.  What I am saying is take control of your life!  Do something useful and productive!  If you don't like the way something is, put your damn oar into the water and paddle that boat.  Otherwise, sit down, shut up, or better yet, GTFO.

UPDATE: Looks like the mods at the cafe removed the offending posts.   Thank you mods!

For continuity, I was referring to this post.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't worry about Eamo, he married an adjuma and works in a haggie after being here for about 20 years. The guy is a loser.

F5Waeg said...

If that is true, it rather supports my point. . .

It isn't true, is it?

Anonymous said...

You know what? you';re the one that sucks you only talk aout dumb shit and what the fuck is that shit music you shouldl just crawl back into your hol

F5Waeg said...

I certainly hope you aren't an English teacher

kushibo said...

He was asked for names during the interrogation, and guess who he named? That's right, Married Dude.

That's just evil.

I used to warn people, "Don't come to Korea if you can't go without smoking pot for the time you're here," but it's probably prudent to warn folks off hanging around those who smoke pot in Korea altogether.

I've helped some people who got in trouble for smoking pot in the ROK and I couldn't believe the stupidity coming from some of them.

Post a Comment