Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Virtuosos!

Sarah Chang
Last night we went to a recital.  The much older brother and sister of one of the youngest's friends were getting their musical freak on with their church band. 

Luckily it only lasted about an hour.

Actually they weren't that bad.  It made me think, like maybe more than a few parents in the audience, that it was time for the eldest to start learning a more 'serious' instrument.

She already plays the okarina, and she spends hours playing around on a full size keyboard I bought her a few years back.  She makes her own music, just like daddy and mommy who play the bass and acoustic guitar.

The youngest needs more musical encouragement.  I'll spend some time today helping her with her fingering on the flute.

But I won't spend money on a tutor.  I'd prefer it be something they do willingly in their free time, which the eldest does.

Breeding virtuosos!

When I got home I put away a bottle of soju and a couple bottles of beer while reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".  I feel asleep on the book and put a big crease in it.  It's underneath my shorter Oxford dictionary right now.

Time for coffee.

4 comments:

jakeinkorea said...

Is that book any good?

F5Waeg said...

recommend

Anonymous said...

Wish my parents played instruments when I was young

still they let me learn violin for several years and actually bought me one. expensive.
Sure thank them for giving the opportunity.

but now I'm over with fiddles and instead, banging drums!
so uncivilized!

F5Waeg said...

drums are fun. and very uncivilized, I love em! But my neighbors barely tolerate the bass as it is.

If you have kids of your own, remember your wish!

Post a Comment