Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Monday, November 1, 2010

Trees!

On the way to work this morning I got stuck behind 3 of these.

They were each carrying a very nice cypress like conifer.

It annoyed me since it was definitely going to cut into my travel time.  There was no way I would beat my speed record. 

I was surprised since usually these trucks drive their wares to the city at night.

Guess they were behind schedule.

Trees are big business in Korea.  A mature tree like the ones I saw this morning can sell from between 500-1000 manners each.  That ain't chicken feed.

All those new apartment complexes and office buildings need trees!  But then I do hate to see entire mountain sides chopped down.  Seems I see more and more of that these days on jaunts around the country side.  I've taken the famvan on some crazy roads up and down mountains, and I've seen it enough.

A few friends told me that when selling land, you always have to consider the value of the trees on it before accepting the final price.  One of them had a nice grove and nearly doubled the selling price because of the trees.

Something to think about when you drive around the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment