Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Shhhh!

Things are a bit tense around the office this morning.

It seems one of the newer Korean women is being let go.

She received poor evaluations for the last two years.  Her English isn't very good.

The other Koreans are mad.  There has been talk about how hard it is for Koreans to excel in this business due to difficulties with language.

Call me crazy, but if you get paid to do a job based on a stated skill set, shouldn't you possess that skill set?

Most of the Koreans get paid more than I do as well.  But I'm not bitter.

Now don't get me wrong.  I like this woman.  She has a good heart.  But facts are facts: she's not really cut out for this kind of work.  The company plans on hiring another waeg.  This has fueled some more talk around the water cooler, since now waegs will outnumber Koreans in the department.

It's the perfect morning to lie low and keep my big mouth shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment