Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Stop Smoking!


The family has really been getting on me lately to quit smoking.

Sometimes I wake up in the morning and hack like an 80 year old man.

First it was just my Mother-in-Law.  Then June started in.  Now the girls are at it too.

Should I surrender?

Not yet!

June did score some heavy points tonight when she said: Don't leave me alone.

Yow.

We do have a bet on who will outlive the other, so at least she would win that.  But I kept my mouth shut.

It really is a stoopid habit.

If I could go back in time and kick my 17 year old self in the ass, I would.

But now I just love that delicious Dunhill flavor!

That's the great thing about Dunhills, you can find them anywhere!

British American tobacco should be paying me for this spot!

I will say this: Dunhills in Korea definitely have a more American flavor to em.  Trust me on this.  I'd say its because local tastes are more geared towards an American tasting cigarette.

These guys know their market!

It gives me a reason to take a break.  Sometimes I have some great conversations, other times I end up opening my big mouth. 

I have quit three times over the years for at least a year at a time.  Once I lasted two and a half years!

Everytime I started up again involved the consumption of an excessive amount of alcohol.

But as Mark Twain said, It's easy to quit smoking.  I've done it hundreds of times.

If you haven't seen the movie Thank You for Smoking, I highly recommend it.  It's great.

3 comments:

Lesser Klaus said...

You're in luck, or maybe not. The FDA here in the states just came out with a new anti-smoking advertising campaign.

Weirdly, the tobacco companies are suing them for violating their right to free speech. No, I don't get it either.

I couldn't quit smoking until I gave up drinking. I look back bitterly on being punked by the tobacco companies. I don't feel any better now to be honest, though I'm much more fit. Weirdly my reflexes got much better when I quit smoking and drinking. My social life suffers. It's hard to bond with the boys now. Nevertheless, I literally wouldn't start again for any amount of money.

Best of luck!

Floridaegu said...

I saw the movie, and I loved it. I quit smoking in Iraq, but sometimes I miss it.

Thing is, you know it's bad for you, but you made a conscious decision to continue. In my opinion, that's your right. Who am I to tell you what to do? Who are the bureaucrats that tell you sugar and sodas are bad for you? You're an adult and you know what's right or good for you and your family. I really dislike these unassociated people that try to push their values on others.

I remember smoking outside once, minding my business, when a portly woman walked by and said that smoking was going to kill me. I had to fight back the urge to say that eating was going to kill her sooner.

As far as the FDA is concerned, I have to agree with the tobacco company. Look, if they're going to vilify cigarettes graphically, then they need to do that across the board. Do it with sodas/teeth, steak/heart attacks, potato chips/fatty guts. If the FDA hates cigarettes so much, then make them illegal. Watch what happens. Who'll pay for medicare? Hell, on the other side of the cigarette box they need to put a picture of a child or elderly person glowing in white, saying thank you for your tax contribution!

If I owned a company selling cars, I don't think I'd like a picture of dismembered bodies on my car advertisements paid for by tax dollars. We know the risks, accept them, and pay the price when things go wrong. I don't need or want anyone telling me what to do because I'm capable of being responsible for myself.

Anonymous said...

amen, especially "I remember smoking outside once, minding my business, when a portly woman walked by and said that smoking was going to kill me. I had to fight back the urge to say that eating was going to kill her sooner."

Post a Comment