Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Me and My Big Mouth

Sometimes people say all kinds of crap without thinking about it too much.

This blog is a case in point.  I just speak my mind, when I should just sit quietly.

Today I was feeling crabby.  I shoulda just kept my mouth shut over morning coffee.

Despite all the war talk going on, one guy decided to get his rant on over the Nobel Prize.

He claims its just a white person's prize and the committee is against Asians with regards science and literature.

I half expected him to rant on about the Jews next.

I'm not saying the Nobel Prize doesn't receive fair criticisms.  But to say that its only a white people prize is disingenuous at best.

You're right I said.  More white people have won the Nobel Prize.  It's a scandal. 

I was wondering, could you help me understand something about the history of education in Korea: when was illiteracy eliminated? What were the first modern universities founded in Korea

I avoided talking about the arrival of modern science in Asia and how its a question of playing catch up.  But I think he still may be sore at me.

Now, stupidity is a universal constant, and I'm hoping this guy won't hold a grudge against me and that his panties aren't in a knot about it.  From experience, these types of conversation never end well.  You can't win and its best to just smile.  When will I ever learn?

3 comments:

jakeinkorea said...

You should tell your stupid-ass co-worker that the Nobel prize is for Scientific INNOVATION, not for wrought memorization or copying other people's work. More white people win it, because more white people deserve it. The list of innovations and inventions by white people is too long to even list. Last time I checked, an Asian person did not invent electricity, the telephone, the radio, the transistor, modern aircraft, automobiles, nuclear fusion, satellites, penicillin, the piano, the microscope, the telescope, television, the camera etc etc etc etc.

Here's a new concept; if Asian aren't winning the Nobel prize for science, they probably don't DESERVE it.

F5Waeg said...

cmon Jake you know that type of comparison is flawed from the get go. . .Asian is a pretty huge group, and various groups of them did invent all kinds of cool shit. . .like paper, gunpowder, numbers, the first alphabet, etc etc et al.

jakeinkorea said...

The problem is, those things were invented hundreds of years ago. The Nobel prize is for people who are living today. It can't be awarded to some random Chinese dude who lived in 104 AD

Post a Comment