Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Me and My Big Mouth

Sometimes people say all kinds of crap without thinking about it too much.

This blog is a case in point.  I just speak my mind, when I should just sit quietly.

Today I was feeling kinda pissy.  I shoulda just kept quiet in the elevator.

I got in with four guys.  One of them can't speak English too well, but he tries.  I tried to engage him in some small talk:

A cool thing about working in Korea is that small talk can often lead to the most unexpected places.

I made a comment about how cold it was.

He smiled and said: Because you are fat you are sensitive to cold.

I'm sorry what?

Because you are fat you are sensitive to cold.

I just looked at him.  Now if 89 kgs is grossly overweight, color me McFatty.  I just smiled.

Well actually its not that cold.  I'm used to much colder than this.  I was just making small talk with you.

Actually if you are fatter, you should technically be able to withstand more cold. Oh look!  You've got a bit of a belly there too!  So you and I can be warm this winter!

I then patted his belly to the great amusement of the tech writing staff.

He looked put out.  I think he may be sore at me.

Now, stupidity is a universal constant, and I'm hoping this guy won't hold a grudge against me and his panties aren't in a knot about it.  In my experience these kinds of things never end well.  When will I ever learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment