Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Get Your Own Damn Spoon!

This morning I had to be authoritarian daddy.

The eldest just sat at the kitchen table, her bowl of cereal in front of her, calling out to her mom to bring her a spoon.

Mom! Spoon!  Mom!! SPOON!!!

The spoons are on the counter less than 3 steps away.

I needed to intervene:

If you have a problem, or need something done, are you always going to wait for someone to take care of it for you?  Or will you take care of it yourself?

If you sit around and wait for it be taken care of, you could end up sitting around for a long time.

Take control of your life.

Get off your ass and get your own damn spoon.

She started crying, but did it.  I tried to soothe her by saying I just want her to be super power girl, who can deal with anything life throws at her.  She won't be that if she expects people to get her things or take care of her shit.

This is something that really irks me: I watch some of her friends and the way they talk to their mothers.  "Mom! Water! Mom! Hungry!  Mom! Gimme Chocolate!"

Not even a full sentence or a please and thank you.

I don't let my girls talk to their mother that way.  You have to be polite and show respect.

I think this issue is related.  If parents took responsibility for teaching their kids proper behavior, maybe teachers in all schools around the world would have much less to worry about.

I often see teenagers talking smack to their parents, or barking at them for food or some pretty bauble.  Not in my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment