Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Monday, November 8, 2010

The F5sponseree

Several commentators have reproached me.

They say that I shouldn't call my SO the F5sponseree.

They say it is degrading.  They say they would be angry if I lowered them by calling them as such.

For the record, I do not call my SO the F5sponseree for any of the above reasons.  I chose the name primarily to avoid sharing too many real details about my family.

The fact is, calling her simply 'honey', 'sugarmuffin', 'babe' and other cute terms of endearment would in my opinion be even more degrading, and would not even come close capturing the essence of this fine woman.

So what's a man to do? 

She married me despite knowing she'd probably be called yanggongju on occasion (which she has been, future post!), a nasty term used to belittle women who date American guys.  She married me despite how some would characterize her as a traitor, an opportunist, or worse, a harlot.

She is none of those things.  She's a smart woman, generally practically minded, only an occasional ball buster when I deserve it.  She values her independence, works hard for the family, and is usually very good to me in terms of freedom and cutting me slack.  She married me from necessity, its true, but her attitude is that I'm good looking, educated, generally like her a lot, am usually a pretty nice guy, a hard worker, and most importantly, exempt her from doing all the Chusok / New Year cooking nonsense that is the bane of many a married woman.

So what should I call her?

June.

No comments:

Post a Comment