Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Cosmetics$#%$@%!

you're still going to die
I made the mistake of looking at the credit card bill for last month.

June bought some skin whitening cream.

It cost 50 manners.

I nearly lost my shit.


That would have been very uncool, but what's a guy to do?

$500 for a tube of face grease is outrageous.

She calls it food.  She claims she needs it.

I think I'm going to need a bottle of single malt whiskey to make me forget that 50 manners is getting lathered onto her face.

I try to tell her I prefer the natural look.  That ain't no lie.

Try making out with someone covered in makeup and you quickly get the practical side of it.

But you can't tell most women that.  They know the score.  If they didn't wear makeup, the jackals in the sorority would show no mercy.  No one wants to be known as THAT girl.

Skin whitening though, seriously?  I woulda married a white girl if that's what I wanted.  But the preference for lighter skin is deeply ingrained in a lot of countries and Korea is no exception.

3 comments:

Todd McCoy said...

You didn't lose your shit??? If it's her money, fine. But If I had to think about myself spending X number of hours in a hakwon to purchase a myth while X number of children in a third world nation could have lived for a year off of that...I'd have lost it big time.

Make your wife watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfq000AF1i8

jakeinkorea said...

One one hand, you should be thankful that she hasn't totally thrown in the towel on her appearance and grooming, as many ajummas do after they are married. Heck, my wife just walks around in sweat pants and a turtle neck every day. Those countless pairs of heels I bought her see no action whatsoever.

On the other hand, it's not the price that should make you angry, it's the fact that she believes the stuff will actually make her skin any lighter than it actually is. There is no conclusive evidence that skin whitening cream actually does anything at all.

Floridaegu said...

Reminds me of a joke I'd tell my Korean father-in-law...

A couple were in a store and the husband grabs a case of beer. The wife tells him they can't afford beer at $25.00 a case. It's too bad, but he would have to quit drinking.

Later, she grabs a $65.00, tiny bottle of make-up.

He asked her how come he had to give up stuff and she didn't.

She said she needed the make-up to look pretty for him.

He paused, looked at her and said, "That's what the beer was for."

Post a Comment