Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Boy Scout!

Today at lunch some of the interns were having a BBQ.

They came by to ask me to help start it up.

Within 10 minutes I had kindled a nice roaring fire.

I am known as BBQ fire startin' man. 

I am also known as Master BBQ meat cooker guy, but I declined today.  I didn't want my clothes smelling like cooked meat and charcoal.

Besides, I can't drink beer at lunch and hope to have a productive afternoon.

Looks like the years of boy scouts paid off!

Boy Scouts aren't really big here in Korea.

But then all the guys do get to do their military service.  That totally sucks.

Still, I think this would be good for a lot of kids.  I loved the scouts.  The leaders I had were generally military dudes.  To get the top award, our leaders took three of us who were vying for it into the middle of the woods.  They gave us a map, a compass, and an emergency kit.  They had marked a green circle and a big red X on it.  They said: See you here in 2 days.

Then they drove off.

It was early winter.  We were 16-17.

Try that today and parents would totally lose their shit.  Still, it was a great experience.  We didn't die.  Luckily.  We also realized later that we were in a huge woodlot. 

Scouts taught me many valuable things, mostly doing with how to be self reliant. 

These kids here are too busy being spoon fed in academies and institutes.  Get em outside and learning about themselves more I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment