Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Where's the Kimchi?!

The Cheese of Korea
Lately there has been a lot of talk about the Kimchi crisis.  I didn't really think too much about it until I realized that there hasn't been a whole lot of the cabbage type kimchi on my table of late.
My Mother-in-Law is the kimchi queen.  She can make damn tasty kimchi out of anything, including but not limited to any type of grass that grows on this fine peninsula.  Lately, we've been eating a lot more cucumber kimchi, chive kimchi, and bean sprouts.

For the neophyte, being presented with a bowl of the deliciousness of kimchi can be a bit daunting.  Do I eat it?  Do I use it to degrease my engine?  If you haven't grown accustomed to it, the old stuff can be a bit too rank and sour for the average waeg.

I remember cleaning out the fridge one fine afternoon and seeing a mystery tupperware container.  What's in this I thought, and promptly ripped the cover off.  The stench that came outta that container coulda brought tears to the most hardened navy seal.  Fighting back the urge to hurl while retching, I put it on the counter to the consternation of the F5sponseree.  She proceeded to berate and scold me for not knowing the good stuff if it bit me in the ass, or in this case burned all the hair outta my nostrils. This of course just made me laugh and retch at the same time.  It wasn't a pretty sight, but it still brings a smile to this jaded old waeg.

Since then I've developed a tolerance reserved for the most aged of ajusshis.  Moogoonji is a type of stew made from year old kimchi.  Now that is some tasty shit.  If I had been a bit more savvy, I woulda held on to all the kimchi the Mother-in-Law made last June and sold it for the equivalent of a new Volvo in spring.  Live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment