Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Where's the Kimchi?! Update!

Earlier this week, I posted  on the how-the-price-of-cabbage-is-totally-fucked buzz.

Good News!

Apparently, thanks to an influx of subpar Chinese cabbage and a better than anticipated fall harvest (!), the price of a head of the leafy stuff has fallen from 14000 won to about 3000 won.

Color me surprised!  And elated!

Looks like I can expect some fresh cabbage kimchi soon!  And it won't necessarily be Chinese cabbage!  Woo!

I am sooo glad I didn't horde the shit like I'm sure some did.  No Volvo for you!

Now some waeg at work said: I can tell the difference between Chinese and Korean cabbage.  That is some fine enviable bullshitin skilz!  I was totally jealous that I didn't think of it first!

But honestly the only thing I can tell the difference between is those who can make kimchi well and those who can't.  And whether they let the cabbage grow enough before they dig it outta the ground.

shhhh!

It's important to keep peaceful and harmonious relations.

Anyway, my fave kimchi is still the gat kimchi, or mustard leaf kimchi:

I don't know whether its a mustard leaf as advertised, or some leaf silk mustard wtf, but it sure is tasty.

Although when the Mother-in-Law adds fresh oysters to the cabbage kimchi, I experience something nearly akin to Pure Deliciousness.

All this talk certainly does ignore the fact that I'm payin way too much for local food, however.

Farmers!  Grow a serious cash crop or GTFO!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can you eat the kimchee??? It's not spicey for you? Very good!

Post a Comment