Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Me and My Big Mouth

Sometimes people say all kinds of crap without thinking about it too much.

This blog is a case in point.  I just speak my mind, when I should just sit quietly.

Today I was feeling kinda snarky.  I shoulda just kept quiet at lunch.

A new guy kept marvelling at how well adjusted the waegs at work seemed.  He thought most waegs in Korea were losers who couldn't make it back home.  He said he often read in the newspaper how waegs were essentially a bunch of trouble makers.

But we were different.  For example, we could use chopsticks oh so well

wrong!
Now usually, many folks won't draw attention to my awesome chopstick skilz when they find out I've been here ten years.  This guy was one of those who will.  I fully anticipate that his next comment is going to be how I eat my kimchi "just like Korean", so I jump in:

Hey thanks!  Ah, but I see you use your chopsticks different from me.  You use your index and middle finger.  I use my two middle fingers.  My way is considered the best for a person's Ki.  Did you know this is the way the Chinese Royal family used chopsticks?

I have no idea if this is true.  When I first learned how to chopstick at the tender age of 18 from the woman who ran the Chinese restaurant I worked at, this was the line she fed me. 

I have used it before, to great comedic effect.

Still, this guy looked put out.  I think he may be sore at me.  I hope he'll understand that ignorance and stupidity are a part of the universal human condition, and we can put it behind us to form a lasting and productive work relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment