Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Friday, October 22, 2010

Me and My Big Mouth

Sometimes people say all kinds of crap without thinking about it too much.

This blog is a case in point.  I just speak my mind, when I should just sit quietly.

Today I was feeling kinda snippy.  I shoulda just kept quiet two times today.

The first time I shoulda just put a sock in it was when a coworker asked me why was it that place names always ignored the original pronunciation or name when written in English.  Florence Italy shouldn't be called that for example. 

I thought about my buddies who live in Illinois, California, Hawaii, Quebec, Canada. . .

Sure, something gets lost when you put it into its romanized form I said, but I don't think there is a single reason why names get changed.  Kimchi is still kimchi however.

Then I asked him about his trip to Hoju, or how his cousin was doing in Mi Gook.  And how I wouldn't mind if my friend from Kaenada would come visit me this weekend.

I think he may be sore at me now.  Hopefully he won't keep being mad at me for long.  He is a nice guy and I like talking with him.

The second time was when another coworker and I were talking about the greenhouse effect.  His view was that America and other developed countries should pay to help less developed countries develop as a means to atone for their history of colonialism.  This way we could prevent further destruction and stop global warming.

Now I could see his point to a certain extent, but America and most other developed countries are bankrupt or in hock to China.  You can't get blood from a stone.

I said businesses act like businesses no matter where they are from.  Korea's no different.  All big business should pitch in following your logic.

No no he assured me, Korea is a special case.  We aren't finished developing yet.  We're kind of in between.  Korean companies need protection.

I know, I love paying 3000 won for an apple as a show of support for the rural life.

But, I mused allowed, would a Malagasy think that about Daewoo Logistics?  I wonder how those touched by the Korean Fisheries Industry would see it.  Oddly, he had no opinion.

Now, stupidity is a universal constant, and I'm hoping these two guys won't hold a grudge against me and that their panties aren't in a knot about it.  From experience, these types of conversation never end well.  You can't win and its best to just smile.  When will I ever learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment