Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Hello Chorus!

Something happened to me this morning that hadn't in a while.

I went into town to take care of some bank stuff.  As I was walking away, I passed a group of what looked like elementary school kids.

As I passed, they all started shouting "Hello!  Hello!! HELLO!!"  a few more intrepid of the lot said things like "How are you?" "Where you from?" and "Fuck you! hahahaha"

I think the last time something like this happened was about 3 years ago, but then I don't walk the streets much these days.

It reminded me of some ridiculous discussion that made the rounds a while back on some site mainly visited by malcontents and those of questionable parentage.

At first I was somewhat bemused: despite all the globalization talk, and multiculturalism talk, and Hub of the entire universe talk, a white guy walking down the street in a medium size city could still elicit such a response in Korea Inc. ver. 2010.  Then I laughed a bit when I thought of a Waeg buddy of mine who would completely lose his shit everytime it would happen to him.  He had created quite a litany of responses for the situation.  Our group at the time told him he needed to relax a bit, maybe go to the gym and work out, but this advice always fell on deaf ears.  Luckily he took his wife back to the States a few years back, and is supposedly much happier.  Good for him.

Me?  I just smiled and walked on my way.  Let little kids play I figure.  A Korean kid's life is pretty rough with all the focus on study, I'm not going to shit in their dwenjang chiggae.  Eventually they'll probably run into some guy like my waeg buddy who will drop a couple of F-bombs on em while insulting their parents.  Me, I'm too awesome to bother.  Besides, maybe one day one of em could end up dating one of my daughters, or being their senior at uni.  You never know what curve ball life's gonna throw your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment