Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Chung Guk Jang

The people downstairs are brewin up a pot of chung guk jang aka old sock soup.


At first I thought I was just being overwhealmed with my oldman smell.  Now I've come to realize that it has always been my neighbors boilin up a pot of tha fine fine old curdled soy bean.

I'm not being sarcastic.  You know you've been here a while when you can eat that shit without flinching.  When you first smell it, you sorta curl your lip when the ajummas tell you that it's 'good for health'.  After a year or three you beg off by saying you'd prefer to eat things that are good for you and that smell and taste good.  5-8 years in you're slurpin it back like a pro.

Be warned: an acquired taste is hard to part by.

1 comment:

Lesser Klaus said...

I thought socks when I first smelled it too. Actually I was first exposed to dwinjeonjige, which I never liked too well. Then I hear there's one that actually more fermented and smelly. I just couldn't imagine. However I actually like chung guk jang quite well.

Post a Comment