Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years

Living in Wonju South Korea, These Many Long Years: Version 2.0!

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Bu Hwal


Last night I went to my fifth concert in South Korea.  It was a Korean band that supposedly used to be big in the late 70's called Bu Hwal.  Bu Hwal means 'rebirth'

I was told that they were a rock band, so I thankfully accepted the free tickets.  They sold for 5 manners each.  It was being held at Oak Valley, so a day out with the kids, check out a free rocking concert, only pay for whatever the kids begged outta the pseudo playground, what a deal!

The concert started at 7.  Around 5:30 I started to get a bad vibe.  I listen to my gut, it usually is right.  It was a sorta date, which meant happy faces all round, so I was elated when the F5sponseree said she wasn't feeling 100%

The famvan didn't like the hills. But I'm too poor to upgrade to something that isn't older than my first born.

The band started with a knockoff of a black sabbath / ACDC rift.  It was all downhill from there.  The lead guitarist was apparently some hot shit, and he decided to show it by throwing in some off key signatures that were less than harmonic.  I figured he had been dealing with more than enough wankers giving him shit for playing yankee music, so he decided to show some Korean interpretation.  It didn't work.

The lead singer was about 20 years younger than the rest of the band.    My initial assessment was that he couldn't sing metal.  That really didn't matter, since after the first two songs it was all rock ballads with an occasional 15 second rock solo thrown in.  Shoot me in the face.  The lead singer was some boy band wannabee singer who was desperate enough to go with these guys since he'd been passed over and was ancient at the age of 28.  He reminded me of this E2 dude who had been here for years who kept signing with Wonderland since they wouldn't throw him outta the country due to his proclivity to always wax on about the awesomeness of Wonderland.  Fuck you.

Apparently the main lead singer left em and made a very sucessful solo career, and these guys were able to pick up the pieces 20 years later. 

What was really annoying was that after every second song, there would be a 10-15 minute conversation.  Shut the fuck up and play some music.  Reminded me of the typical Korean nighclub where the DJ is supposedly the star and has to remind everyone by spewing out some random shit every 2 minutes.  I don't care what your voice sounds like, play some more music!@

No comments:

Post a Comment